After much work, I've finally been successful in upgrading this blog to Drupal 6. This is the third attempt, and the first one that wouldn't have had me editing the database to fix the bork-ups that 'upgrading' modules between versions created. All of this caused me to remember why I was hesitant to upgrade before now.
This is for those of you that haven't upgraded to wordpress 2.1 yet, and are comfortable following instructions using a command line.
It also assumes you have command-line access to your server. But that's a story for another day
Rather than go through the traditional rigamarole with updating wordpress (2.0.9 was released very recently) I decided to try a different approach. What made this possible was that there were no database changes so no upgrade script was needed.
When (K)ubuntu 6.10 ('Edgy Eft') came out, there were a number of problems reported with the upgrade process. Being fairly busy at the time, I decided to wait.
So, a few days ago I decided to give it a try. Everything went smoothly, except that my monitor ended up misconfigured. I don't blame the upgrade process, however -- instead I blame my crappy attempt at earlier attempting configuration of X for multiple monitors.
at last I've upgraded to wordpress 1.5, and have fixed that blasted problem where ' and " characters in the comments would be prefixed with slashes. Enough about that problem... I'll be upgrading/changing this template from the default in a few days, when I can get more time. Comments are welcome